The Holy Synod of the Orthodox Autocephalous Church of Albania consists of: His Beatitude Archbishop Anastasios, President; Bishop of Berati, His Eminence Ignatios; Bishop of Korça, His Eminence John; Bishop of Gjirokastra, His Eminence Demetrios; Bishop of Apollonia, His Grace Nicholas; Bishop of Kruja, His Grace Anthony; Bishop of Amantia, His Grace Nathanail; Bishop of Bylis, His Grace Asti; General Secretary, Protopresbyter Jani Trebicka.
Short history (1992 - present)
• By the grace of God, in 1998, the Holy Synod of the Autocephalous Orthodox Church of Albania was reestablished. The enthronement of His Eminence Ignati, Metropolitan of Berat, Vlora and Kanina, took place on Saturday, July 18, 1998, in the St. Spyridon Church in Berat. His Beatitude Anastasios, Archbishop of Tirana, Durrës, and All Albania lead the service, together with two representatives from the Ecumenical Patriarchate, His Eminence Evangelos, Metropolitan of Perge and His Eminence Meliton, Metropolitan of Philadelphia.
In the afternoon of the same day, Archbishop Anastasios and Metropolitan Ignatios formed the first core of the Holy Synod of the Autocephalous Orthodox Church of Albania, where together with the two representatives of the Ecumenical Patriarchate, they convened an extraordinary meeting of the Holy Synod in Tirana. Archimandrite John Pelushi was chosen as the Metropolitan of Korça. Prior to this he has served as a professor and dean at the Theological Academy “Resurrection of Christ” in Durrës. The Venerable Father Kozma Qirjo was chosen as Bishop of Apolonia. He was one of the earlier generations of priests, who had heroically continued baptizing and celebrating the Divine Liturgy in a secret way even during the cruelest years of religious persecution.
The ordination of the Metropolitan of Korça celebrated on the 20th of July in the Annunciation Church in Tirana by Archbishop Anastasios and the metropolitans. Whereas the enthronement was held in the metropolitan church “The Lifegiving Source” in Korça on July 25th.
The ordination of the Bishop of Apolonia celebrated on July 23rd in the Annunciation Church in Tirana by Archbishop Anastasios all members of Holy Synod. And the Protopresbyter Jani Trebicka was designated the General Secretary of the Holy Synod of Orthodox Autocephalous Church of Albania.
• On August 11th, 2000, His Grace Kozma passed away, leaving the throne of Bishop of Apolonia vacant.
• From 3-4 November 2006, in the Monastery of St. Vlash in Durrës, specially convened the Clergy-Laity Assembly of the Orthodox Church of Albania, consisting of 257 members, which examined article by article and unanimously accepted the new Statute of the Church. On 6 November, met the Holy Synod, which approved the new Statute of the Orthodox Autocephalous Church of Albania.
• On November 11th, 2006 at the meeting of the Holy Synod of the Orthodox Autocephalous Church of Albania, they decided to elevate three of our Church’s archimandrites to the level of bishops - Demetrios Sinaiti, Nicholas Hyka, and Anthony Merdani.
Archimandrite Demetrios, was appointed Metropolitan of Gjirokastra, in this metropolis he had served for the past 15 years as protosyngellos; Archimandrite Nicholas Hyka was appointed Bishop of Apollonia and Archimandrite Anthony Merdani was appointed Bishop of Kruja. They belong to the new generation of clerics formed at the Theological Academy "Resurrection of Christ" in St. Vlash of Durrës. The two bishops were appointed auxiliary bishops of the Archbishop.
On November 16th in the Annunciation Church of Tirana celebrated the episcopal ordination for Archimandrite Demetrios by Archbishop Anastasios and all members of Holy Synod. The Enthronement Ceremony for the Metropolitan of Gjirokastra, His Eminence Demetrious, took place on November 26th in the Archangels’ Church in Gjirokastër.
On November 19th and 21st at the Annunciation Church of Tirana celebrated the episcopal ordinations of Bishop of Apolonia and Bishop of Kruja by Archbishop Anastasios and all members of Holy Synod.
Following the proposal of the Clergy-Laity Council, as defined in the new statute of our Church, on Thursday, January 19, 2012, in its meeting, the Holy Synod of the Orthodox Church of Albania elected two new bishops.
• The Holy Synod unanimously elected, in accordance with the New Statute of the Orthodox Autocephalous Church of Albania (Articles 17, 18), as Bishop of Amantia, Archimandrite Nathanail Lavrioti and as Bishop of Bylis, Archimandrite Asti Bakallbashi. Even those are auxiliary bishops of the Archbishop and entitled members with full rights in the Holy Synod.
On January 21st and 22nd at the Annunciation Church of Tirana celebrated the episcopal ordinations of Bishop of Amantia and Bishop of Bylis by Archbishop Anastasios all members of Holy Synod.
The new bishops cover certain sectors of Church life: His Grace Nathanail, “Supervision of Monastery Properties” and His Grace Asti, “Apostolic Diakonia”.
With these two elevations the Holy Synod of the Orthodox Autocephalous Church of Albania is composed of eight members for the first time in its history: by Archbishop Anastasios, President; Bishop of Berati Ignatios, Bishop of Korça John, Bishop of Gjirokastra Demetrios, Bishop of Apolonia Nicholas, Bishop of Kruja Anthony, Bishop of Amantia Nathanail, Bishop of Bylis Asti and by the General Secretary Protopresbyter Jani Trebicka.